Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title A Gentle Introduction to the Art of Mathematics
- Author(s) Joseph Fields
- Publisher: Lulu.com (November 26, 2010)
- Paperback 464 pages
- eBook Onlines
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: N/A
- ISBN-13: 978-0-557-64515-2
- Share This:
A Gentle Introduction to the Art of Mathematics (GIAM for short) is a textbook for a "transitions" course. Transitions courses (also known as "foundations" or "intro to proofs" courses) are typically taken after the Calculus sequence and before upper-division coursework in the mathematics major. Their purpose is to acclimatize the student to some of the culture and terminology of mathematics and to begin developing in them a proficiency at reading and writing mathematical proofs.
GIAM has chapters on Logic, Set theory, Relations and Cardinality interspersed with chapters on proofs - direct and indirect arguments, induction, combinatorial reasoning and "magic". Also, there are amusing quotations at the start of every chapter.About the Authors
- Miscellaneous and Uncategorized Mathematics Books
- Discrete Mathematics
- Mathematical Logic - Set Theory, Model Theory, Computability, etc