Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title The Promise and Peril of Big Data
- Author(s) David Bollier
- Publisher: The Aspen Institute (2010)
- Hardcover/Paperback N/A
- eBook PDF
- Language: English
- ASIN: N/A
- ISBN-10: 0898435161
- ISBN-13: 978-0898435160
- Share This:
This book explores the positive aspects and the social perils that arise when the ever-rising floods of data being generated by mobile networking, cloud computing and other new technologies meets continued innovations in advanced correlation techniques.
Ever-rising floods of data are being generated by mobile networking, cloud computing and other new technologies. At the same time, continued innovations use advanced correlation techniques to analyze them, and the process and payoff can be both encouraging and alarming. The Promise and Peril of Big Data explores the ways these inferential technologies can positively affect medicine, business and government, and also examines the social perils they pose. Written by conference rapporteur David Bollier, the report summarizes the insights of the Eighteenth Annual Roundtable on Information Technology, which sought to understand the implications of the emergence of “Big Data” and new techniques of inferential analysis.About the Authors
- David Bollier is an author, activist, blogger and independent scholar who writes about the commons as a new paradigm of economics, politics and culture. He is co-founder of the Commons Strategies Group, a consulting project that assists the international commons movement; and co-director of the Commons Law Project, which is seeking to regenerate the legal traditions for protecting the commons. Bollier is also Editor at the Institute for Data-Driven Design, ID3, a Boston-based research nonprofit that is helping design new digital institutions to let people assert greater control over their data, online identities and authentication.
- The Promise and Peril of Big Data (David Bollier)
- The Mirror Site (1) - PDF
- The Mirror Site (2) - PDF