Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title From Bricks to Brains: The Embodied Cognitive Science of LEGO Robots
- Author(s) Michael Dawson, Brian Dupuis, Michael Wilson
- Publisher: UBC Press (August 1, 2010)
- Paperback 448 pages
- eBook PDF (354 pages, 7.32 MB)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1897425783
- ISBN-13: 978-1897425787
- Share This:
From Bricks to Brains introduces embodied cognitive science and illustrates its foundational ideas through the construction and observation of LEGO Mindstorms robots.
Discussing the characteristics that distinguish embodied cognitive science from classical cognitive science, the book places a renewed emphasis on sensing and acting, the importance of embodiment, the exploration of distributed notions of control, and the development of theories by synthesizing simple systems and exploring their behavior. Numerous examples are used to illustrate a key theme: the importance of an agent's environment. Even simple agents, such as LEGO robots, are capable of exhibiting complex behavior when they can sense and affect the world around them.About the Authors
Michael Dawson is a professor of psychology at the University of Alberta. He is the author of numerous scientific papers as well as the books Understanding Cognitive Science (1998), Minds and Machines (2004), and Connectionism: A Hands-on Approach (2005).
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Cognitive Science
- Control Theory, Robusts, and Automation
- Algorithms and Data Structures