Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title Real World Functional Programming: With Examples in F# and C#
- Author(s) Tomas Petricek, Jon Skeet and Yin Zhu
- Publisher: Manning Publications; Pap/Psc edition (January 22, 2010)
- Hardcover/Paperback: 500 pages
- eBook: HTML and PDF
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1933988924
- ISBN-13: 978-1933988924
- Share This:
Functional programming languages like F#, Erlang, and Scala are attracting attention as an efficient way to handle the new requirements for programming multi-processor and high-availability applications. Microsoft's new F# is a true functional language and C# uses functional language features for LINQ and other recent advances.
Real World Functional Programming is a unique tutorial that explores the functional programming model through the F# and C# languages. The clearly presented ideas and examples teach readers how functional programming differs from other approaches. It explains how ideas look in F# - a functional language - as well as how they can be successfully used to solve programming problems in C#. Readers build on what they know about .NET and learn where a functional approach makes the most sense and how to apply it effectively in those cases.
The reader should have a good working knowledge of C#. No prior exposure to F# or functional programming is required.About the Authors
- Tomas Petricek discovered functional programming as a graduate student at Charles University in Prague. He has been a Microsoft C# MVP since 2004 and is one of the most active members in the F# community. In addition to his work with F#, he has been using C# 3.0 in a functional way since the early previews in 2005. He interned with the F# team at Microsoft Research, and he has developed a client/server web framework for F# called F# WebTools. His articles on functional programming in .NET and various other topics can be found at his web site tomasp.net.
- Jon Skeet is a Google software engineer working in London. A Microsoft C# MVP since 2003 and prominent C# community personality, Jon has gained deep insight into how languages are misunderstood and abused-as well as seeing what developers really need to know.
- Real World Functional Programming: With Examples in F# and C# (Tomas Petricek, et al)
- The Mirror Site (1) - GitHub Edition - PDF (495 pages, 4.2 MB)
- Book Homepage (Errata, Sample Code, etc.)