Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title The Java Garbage Collection Mini-Book
- Author(s) Charles Humble
- Publisher: InfoQ (2015)
- Paperback: N/A
- ebook PDF (104 pages, 1.2 MB)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: N/A
- ISBN-13: N/A
- Share This:
The Java Garbage Collection Mini-book provides a concise, accessible guide for Java architects and senior developers who want to understand what garbage collection is, how it works, and how it impacts the execution of their programs.
This book dives right into the details. Starting with an examination of the Java heap and pointers, safe-points, and generational collection, the book then explores each collector in turn, describing its memory structure, the basics of the algorithm, and its performance characteristics.
The collectors covered are:
- Serial, Parallel, CMS and G1 from the OpenJDK distributions
- Balanced and Metronome from IBM
- C4 from Azul Systems
- Red Hatís forthcoming Shenandoah
Later sections look at tuning, logging, and some programming techniques to produce less garbage.About the Authors
- Charles Humble has worked in enterprise software for around 20 years as a developer, architect, and development manager. In his spare time, he writes music as one third of the London-based ambient-techno group Twofish.