Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title Book of Proof, 2nd Edtion
- Author(s) Richard Heath Hammack
- Publisher: Richard Hammack; Revised edition (May 31, 2013)
- Paperback 312 pages
- eBook PDF Files
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0989472108
- ISBN-13: 978-0989472104
- Share This:
This book is an introduction to the language and standard proof methods of mathematics.
It is a bridge from the computational courses (such as calculus or differential equations) that students typically encounter in their first year of college to a more abstract outlook. It lays a foundation for more theoretical courses such as topology, analysis and abstract algebra. Although it may be more meaningful to the student who has had some calculus, there is really no prerequisite other than a measure of mathematical maturity. Topics include sets, logic, counting, methods of conditional and non-conditional proof, disproof, induction, relations, functions and infinite cardinality.About the Authors
- Richard Hammack is an associate professor of mathematics at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia. A native of rural southern Virginia, he studied painting at Rhode Island School of Design before an interest in computer graphics and visualization led him to mathematics. He works mostly in the areas of combinatorics and graph theory.
- Mathematical Logic - Set Theory, Model Theory, Proof Theory, Computability, etc.
- Discrete Mathematics
- General and Miscellaneous Mathematics