Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title The Little Book of Semaphores, Second Edition
- Author(s) Allen B. Downey
- Publisher: CreateSpace; 2 edition (March 20, 2009)
- Paperback 298 pages
- eBook PDF, 980 KB
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1441418687
- ISBN-13: 978-1441418685
- Share This:
The Little Book of Semaphores is a textbook that introduces the principles of synchronization for concurrent programming. In most computer science curricula, synchronization is a module in an Operating Systems class. OS textbooks present a standard set of problems with a standard set of solutions, but most students don't get a good understanding of the material or the ability to solve similar problems.
The approach of this book is to identify patterns that are useful for a variety of synchronization problems and then show how they can be assembled into solutions. After each problem, the book offers a hint before showing a solution, giving students a better chance of discovering solutions on their own.
The book covers the classical problems, including "Readers-writers," "Producer-consumer", and "Dining Philosophers." In addition, it collects a number of not-so-classical problems.About the Authors
- Allen Downey is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the Olin College of Engineering. He has taught computer science at Wellesley College, Colby College and U.C. Berkeley. He has a Ph.D. in Computer Science from U.C. Berkeley and Masterís and Bachelorís degrees from MIT.
- Operating Systems Design and Construction
- Unix/Linux Programming - System and Applications
- Parallel Computing and Programming