Free Computer, Mathematics, Technical Books and Lecture Notes, etc.
- Title Think OS - A Brief Introduction to Operating Systems
- Author(s) Allen B. Downey
- Publisher: University of Wisconsin (2013 - Date)
- Hardcover/Paperback N/A
- eBook PDF Files (Total 757 Pages)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: N/A
- ISBN-13: N/A
- Share This:
Think OS is an introduction to Operating Systems for programmers.
In many computer science programs, Operating Systems is an advanced topic. By the time students take it, they usually know how to program in C, and they have probably taken a class in Computer Architecture. Usually the goal of the class is to expose students to the design and implementation of operating systems, with the implied assumption that some of them will do research in this area, or write part of an OS.
This book is intended for a different audience, and it has different goals. The author developed it for a class at Olin College called Software Systems.
This book does not assume that you have studied Computer Architecture. The author will explain what you need.
This book is for systems programmers, software engineers, programmers, and other professionals who want to teach themselves the fundamentals of operating systems or enhance their understanding of operating systems and distributed systems issues.About the Authors
- Allen Downey is a Professor of Computer Science at the Olin College of Engineering. He has taught computer science at Wellesley College, Colby College and U.C. Berkeley. He has a Ph.D. in Computer Science from U.C. Berkeley and Masterís and Bachelorís degrees from MIT.
- Operating Systems Design and Construction
- Unix/Linux Programming - System and Applications
- Microsoft Windows Programming
- Parallel Computing and Programming